9 Juin 2017
June 9, 2017
Hiroshima updates list of atomic bomb victims
In Hiroshima, annual work began on Friday to add new names to the registry of victims of the 1945 atomic bombing.
The list includes the names of those who died in the bombing and those survived and died later. The yearly work has been continuing since 1952.
Two survivors of the bombing, 75-year-old Kazuko Ikegame and 74-year-old Nobuko Nakamoto, took charge to add new names.
Before starting the task, the 2 former city employees prayed for the victims. Then they used writing brushes to inscribe the names, ages and dates of the deaths of survivors, which were confirmed directly or through relatives during the past year.
The city says at least 2,745 new names will be added this year to 303,195 registered through last year.
Nakamoto says the effort has reminded her of the scale of the loss and the importance of conveying to people around the world that an atomic bomb should never be used again.
The work will last until August 5th, one day before the bomb was dropped. The completed records will be placed inside the cenotaph at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park during a ceremony marking the anniversary.