14 Janvier 2016
The amount of compensation claimed (and paid) differs according to the article
January 14, 2016
FUKUSHIMA -- The prefectural government here is planning for the first time to seek compensation through the system of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) for a portion of damages resulting from the nuclear disaster at the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO)'s Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.
The Fukushima Prefectural Government's claim is scheduled to be filed as early as April with a center for resolving disputes regarding nuclear damage compensation after gaining approval from the prefectural assembly.
The claim seeks about 1 billion yen in compensation for costs associated with the nuclear crisis that include the salaries of employees for a radiation contamination department that was newly created following the disaster, as well as expenditures associated with combatting harmful rumors.
Compensation through the ADR system has already been sought by a total of seven prefectures in addition to Fukushima: five additional prefectures in the Tohoku region, along with Gunma and Chiba prefectures. An ADR-related settlement has been reached by Iwate Prefecture.
Fukushima Prefecture has already sought a total of around 30.4 billion yen in damages from TEPCO, which provided compensation totaling some 14.1 billion yen for costs including treatment and management of waste products containing radioactive materials, as well as examinations for radioactive contamination of agricultural and livestock products.
The Fukushima Prefectural Government plans to initially seek a total of around 1 billion yen via ADR, and to subsequently decide based upon the response whether to ask for the rest of the funds.
A representative of TEPCO's Fukushima press bureau said in an interview, "We would like to respond in a sincere manner."
By NOBORU OKADA/ Staff Writer
FUKUSHIMA--The Fukushima prefectural government, exasperated by Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s foot-dragging, plans to turn to a third-party organ for the first time to resolve a dispute over damages arising from the 2011 nuclear disaster.
Prefectural authorities will be seeking an estimated 1 billion yen ($9 million) in compensation for expenses resulting from the triple meltdown at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.
As the two sides remain far apart on key issues, prefectural officials decided to ask the central government's nuclear damage claim dispute resolution center to serve as mediator.
The prefectural government is hoping that this strategy will convince TEPCO to cover budgetary outlays for personnel expenses for the new departments and sections that had to be established to deal with the nuclear accident.
The submittal of the mediation request could be made in April once the Fukushima prefectural assembly gives its approval.
Compensation is also being sought for a public relations campaign that was implemented to lure tourists who stayed away from the prefecture in the aftermath of the nuclear accident.
Discussions with TEPCO on such expenditures proved fruitless.
"We would like to obtain the judgment of a third party for those parts that we are not convinced about," a prefectural official said.
Fukushima authorities will propose that the mediator be used in the prefectural assembly session to be convened in February.
Since July 2012, the Fukushima prefectural government has submitted three separate compensation requests to TEPCO totaling 11.01 billion yen. TEPCO has so far paid about 3.92 billion yen for projects to assist small businesses to resume operations as well as to relocate prefectural senior high schools.
Referring to the proposed mediation, a TEPCO official said, "We will respond in a sincere manner based on the established procedures."