18 Décembre 2015
December 18, 2015
Dec. 18, 2015 - Updated 11:54 UTC+1
A government survey shows that about 40 percent of people who evacuated after the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident had to live separately from their family members in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.
60,000 people in Fukushima Prefecture were surveyed between February and May last year. About 20,000 of them responded.
They were asked about their living conditions during the 50-day period following the accident.
The main reason for having to live apart was that family members were unable to evacuate because they had to help others. Some respondents said they were in different locations when they evacuated.
About 60 percent of the respondents said they stayed at 3 or more evacuation centers. Among them, about 20 percent said they stayed at 5 or more.
As for evacuation instructions issued on the first 2 days of the accident, roughly one in 4 respondents said they got none of the information.
About 30 percent said they did not undergo checks for radioactive contamination at the time of the evacuation.
Approximately 100,000 people are still forced to evacuate in Fukushima Prefecture.
There are concerns that prolonged evacuation and changing living environments may lead to physical problems for the evacuees.